FWD: [syslinux] Network Boot IP Configuration Dilemma

kumon at flab.fujitsu.co.jp kumon at flab.fujitsu.co.jp
Sun Sep 14 11:55:59 PDT 2003

If you want eth0 to be used and no dynamic IP
configuration request should not occur in the Linux
kernel, specify *both* APPEND and IPAPPEND options
like:

APPEND ip=:::::eth0:none
IPAPPEND 1

It's very tricky but it works, at least Linux 2.4.18
which I tested.  The IP-PNP routine in the kernel
doesn't modify values if the option values are not
explicitly specified.  IPAPPEND doesn't provide the
<device> option and <autoconf> option, so the values
for the options set by the previous APPEND will
survive.

K.Kumon