[syslinux] Re: /tftpboot file locations

Tom Diehl tdiehl at rogueind.com
Tue Sep 16 12:46:51 PDT 2003

On Tue, 16 Sep 2003, Mikey Sklar wrote:

> Has anyone had any luck with moving files outside of /tftpboot? Its been
> particularly frustrating in my environment to support files within this
> directory. Especially since I support three different architectures and
> need to differentiate their boot loaders, kernels, configs, initrd's,
> etc. I'd really like to symlink off to my AFS space and let the sysname
> values do the work.
>
> Is there a tftp that supports usage of files outside of tftpboot?
> tftp-hpa perhaps?

While I have not actually tried this I do not see any reason why tftp-hpa
would not let you put it wherever you want.

>From the tftp-server man page:

-s     Change root directory on startup.  This means  the  remote  host
              does  not need to pass along the directory as part of the trans-
              fer, and may add security.  When -s is  specified,  exactly  one
              directory  should  be specified on the command line.  The use of
              this option is recommended for security as well as compatibility
              with  some  boot  ROMs  which cannot be easily made to include a
              directory name in its request.

This is the tftp-server that ships with Red Hat Linux. AFAIK it is in reality
tftp-hpa. the blurb at the bottom of the man page says that hpa wrote it.

HTH,

--
......Tom		Registered Linux User #14522	http://counter.li.org
tdiehl at rogueind.com	My current SpamTrap ------->	mtd123 at rogueind.com