[syslinux] INITRD > MEMSIZE / 2

Gerry Dubois gdubois at carriustech.com
Wed Sep 17 08:51:53 PDT 2003

I’ve got a 512M machine and a 330M ( uncompressed ) initrd image. How can I
mount the ramdisk? Normal booting seems to want to copy the entire initrd
image into a Ramdisk, thus requiring 2X the memory. So what happens is the
kernel boots correctly and I get,
RAMDISK: ext2 filesystem found at block 0
RAMDISK: Loading 330000 blocks [ 1 disk ] into ram disk
And then I never see the light of day after that

Compressing the ramdisk doesn’t help because it’s basically already
compressed ( a giant 290M tarball used as part of an installation process
run from /linuxrc). After scouring the net I though I would be able to mount
the initrd directly using /dev/initrd, but that didn’t seem to work.

- Gerry