[syslinux] FW: INITRD > MEMSIZE / 2

Josef Siemes jsiemes at web.de
Fri Sep 19 01:08:39 PDT 2003

Hi,

your message got posted to the list, even multiple times. It would have been enough
to post it one time, since either someone knows what to do or noone answers.

Since this list is about syslinux in special maybe someone knows what to do, but
don't expect to solve kernel issues here.

"Gerry Dubois" <gerry at dazoo.net> schrieb am 18.09.03 23:45:45:
> I’ve got a 512M machine and a 330M ( uncompressed ) initrd image. How can I
> mount the ramdisk? Normal booting seems to want to copy the entire initrd
> image into a Ramdisk, thus requiring 2X the memory. So what happens is the
> kernel boots correctly and I get,
> RAMDISK: ext2 filesystem found at block 0
> RAMDISK: Loading 330000 blocks [ 1 disk ] into ram disk
> And then I never see the light of day after that

> Compressing the ramdisk doesn’t help because it’s basically already
> compressed ( a giant 290M tarball used as part of an installation process
> run from /linuxrc). After scouring the net I though I would be able to mount
> the initrd directly using /dev/initrd, but that didn’t seem to work.

Read the kernel code, it needs to uncompress the initrd somewhere. Even if you give
it uncompressed to the kernel maybe it needs to copy it into the right place.

Regards,

Josef