[syslinux] Booting from a USB flash memory stick.

James Courtier-Dutton James at superbug.demon.co.uk
Mon Sep 29 03:56:33 PDT 2003

Hi,

This might be a bit off topic, but I hope people can help anyway.

I have a USB 256Mb Memory stick.
I have created an ext2 partition on it, and have saved files to it.
I have stored a kernel image on it, together with an /etc/lilo.conf file.
When I run lilo, if writes lilo to the boot sector of the flash disk.
When I try to boot into linux using the USB Memory stick, I get a single
"L" displayed.
So my question is: -
Can I use LILO to boot from a USB memory stick, or will I have to use
syslinux?
If I can use LILO, can anyone point me to a reason why the current
method is not working?

Cheers
James