[syslinux] ISOLINUX: why -boot-load-size 4?

Mario 'BitKoenig' Holbe Mario.Holbe at RZ.TU-Ilmenau.DE
Mon Sep 29 07:49:35 PDT 2003

Hello,

i'm just curious, why the -boot-load-size 4 for mkisofs
with isolinux.bin is needed. I searched the list archive
and found nothing and found nothing anywhere else.

Since the isolinux.bin is much bigger than 4 * 512 byte,
I'd suspect, it wont get completely loaded.

With -boot-load-size 4, mkisofs reports:
Size of boot image is 4 sectors -> No emulation
Without it, mkisofs reports:
Size of boot image is 20 sectors -> No emulation

I know (because I tested it), that everything works fine
with -boot-load-size 4, but my simple question is:
Can I leave it away or does that kill something?
And what exactly is the difference.

PS: I'm not subscribed to the list, so please CC: me
in replies. Mail-Followup-To: should be set appropriate.

regards,
   Mario
--
I thought the only thing the internet was good for was porn.  -- Futurama