[syslinux] PXElinux NFS booting issue

Josef Siemes jsiemes at web.de
Tue Sep 30 00:12:40 PDT 2003

Hi,

Manuel Tuthill <manuel at lidimus.com> schrieb am 30.09.03 00:28:31:
> I know this isn't the right list for this but I figured that at least you
> guy's have done some similar things.
>
> After messing about with PXElinux, I'm only a hairs breath away from
> finishing. My problem comes from program files that the Kernel boots to, so
> init=/sbin/init or init=/bin/bash. If I boot to bash the console of the
> remote PC just dies right after the section "Freeing unused kernel space
> xxKb" and if I do an init I get the init not found error. After digging
> around it points to being a library dependence issues. I rebuilt statically
> rebuilt init. to see if this was my problem but I still get the same errors
> (haven't yet tried rebuilding Bash statically, will do tomorrow). So has
> anyone come across this issue before, as I've been working on it for a few
> days now and nothing seems to be moving me forward.
>
> I'd think it was an NFS issue but I can mount and start init from my servers
> root filesystem on the workstation. (yes I know it's a bad idea).

You didn't write what exactly your kernel told you, so I'm just guessing.
Maybe
- your kernel doesn't have nfsroot configured in
- your kernel didn't get an IP address (dhcp autoconfig / ip= -parameter)
- your NFS server is missing an export
- your NFS server insists on knowing the client, but it's missing from DNS/hosts/etc.pp

So look at the kernel messages if it actually configured any network device, and
give the exact messages the kernel told you before the panic. Especially
NFS and RPC messages are very interesting. A serial console would help you much
with that.

For the static vs. dynamic: You need all libraries ldd tells you, and these must be
found in the ld.conf path. This should be enough.

Regards,

Josef