[syslinux] 3Com PXE server

Jason Dravet dravet at calumet.purdue.edu
Mon Apr 19 14:22:58 PDT 2004

I posted this to the group last year, but the problem was not fixed so I
will give it another try.

I use 3Com's PXE server to deploy the Fedora Core boot disk to my clients
for an ftp install.  I also have ghost boot disks, bios update disks, and a
video bios repair disk all using the 3Com PXE server.  The problem is when I
try to boot a Linux kernel.  With all versions of syslinux since 1.72
syslinux will boot the system, get to the boot: prompt and die.  The error
message is can not find ramdisk image and then cannot find kernel.  If I
type bzImage at the boot: prompt, the kernel loads and panics because it
can't find the ramdisk.  I pass all of the command options and it still
can't find the ramdisk.  I downloaded every version of syslinux from 1.52 to
2.08 and tried them.  Version 1.52 through 1.67 works with the 3Com PXE
server.  Version 1.70 did not.  Version 1.71 and 1.72 did work.  Versions
1.73 - 2.08 do not work.  Something happened in 1.70 that broke when using
the 3Com PXE server.  The problem was fixed in 1.71 and 1.72, and then
broken again in 1.73.  The problem is not with the Linux boot disk.  If I
put the syslinux 1.72 boot loader on the disk, it will work.  If I put 2.08
on the same disk, it will not work.  If I put 1.71 on then it works again.

It was suggested that I switch to a Linux PXE server.  That is not an
option.  I have been stuck using 1.72 for the last year and have to come to
the point where I need the newer version for some of the features (the new
com boot looks promising for another project I am working on).  I know that
the 3Com PXE server has been discontinued by 3Com, but this is what I am
forced to use.  I will work with whoever to get this problem fixed.

Thank you,

Jason