[syslinux] memdisk : booting OpenBSD and NetBSD

Benjamin Pineau ben at zouh.org
Mon Apr 19 16:57:32 PDT 2004

On Tue, Apr 20, 2004 at 12:21:15AM +0200, Kasper Fock wrote:
> Hi.
> I had managed to boot the freebsd boot.flp as described, but i also want to be
> able to install it. Does anyone know how to make an unattended install of
> freebsd using this method (pxelinux, memdisk and boot.flp). I have read
> something about an install.cfg file  but is it possible to get the
> installation to look for this file ie, on a ftp/tftp server?

I don't know the precise response for youre question. But maybe I can help
by telling you that making your own boot.flp from source, containing the
install.cfg is trivial (it's designed for that).

And of course the install.cfg file can itself contain the network config
and the adress of an ftp or nfs server providing the install files.  So you
won't even need to setup a tftp server.

The boot.flp can certainly be retreived by pxe.

Docs that might help: man sysinstall, /usr/src/release/, man release, and
/usr/share/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/pxe/install.cfg for a sample
install.cfg.