[syslinux] pxelinux with localboot + etherboot

Kazutomo Yoshii kazutomo at powercockpit.net
Wed Aug 4 01:37:25 PDT 2004

Hi,

[I sent this mail again because my previous mail was rejected by ML
for some reason]

This topic is originally from etherboot ML.

When we specify "localboot" for pxelinux loaded from etherboot,
this option doesn't work( it doesn't boot from local harddrive ).
pxelinux returns to PXE with localboot return code but
etherboot doesn't check it.

I was trying to change etherboot side but I gave up fixing etherboot :->
(I'm not good at x86 asm)
So I simply replaced pxelinux local_boot: with isolinux's one
with a little bit modification. it worked.

I think that it may be better if pxelinux.cfg also allows to
specify local drive number
like "localboot 0x80" as well as "localboot 0".

Is this good idea or not?

Thanks,
Kaz