[syslinux] PXEboot works but running into a wall at "login"

Gary Kypers holandes777 at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 6 14:53:38 PDT 2004

> * To get a root shell without a login add this to
> you /etc/inittab
> --- begin include ---
> tty2:12345:respawn:/sbin/agetty -i -n -l /bin/bash
> 38400 tty2
> tty3:12345:respawn:/sbin/agetty -i -n -l /bin/bash
> 38400 tty3
> --- end include ---
> This spawns a root shell on consoles 2 and 3 under
> runlevels 1,2,3,4 and 5.

When I run the above (after commenting out my
inittab's lines which are:
#1:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty1
#1:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty2
etc.
I get
   "cannot execute "etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit"
and
  " cannot execute "/etc/rc.d/rc"
then
  Id "tty2" respawning too fast: disabled for 5
minutes
  Id "tty3" respawning too fast: disabled for 5
minutes

Could it be that agetty is Debian Linux and mingetty
is redhat and the init process is exploding at
inittab?

> * Authentication problem:
>    Check /dev: you may be missing some devices (or
> have wrong permissions).
>    Like tty* zero, null....

The above device files are there (copied from the
server's /dev directory. Also, I set the permissions
to 666 for everything just in case. Did not help.

The problem appears to be immediately after the loging
name is provided. Something is missing that the login
process expects to see. Anyone have an idea what that
might be?  (/etc/passwd /etc/shadow are there and
copied from a working server)