[syslinux] Syslinux patch

Joel Ebel jbebel at ncsu.edu
Thu Aug 19 14:50:16 PDT 2004

Out of necessity, a friend of mine and I have created a patch for
syslinux to allow it to modify the mbr and partition table in windows.
It adds a -m option to syslinux.  If given, it will overwrite the MBR of
the drive specified with the mbr.bin provided in syslinux, and if the
bootable flag is not set on the partition being syslinuxed, it will set
it.  This was done to distribute with my USB based distribution so that
a user can run syslinux from within windows to perform all steps
necessary to make the pen drive bootable.  The patch only adds the
option to the windows syslinux because performing these steps is much
easier in linux, and there was no simple tool I knew of to it in windows
at all.  However, adding this functionality to the linux version of
syslinux would also be possible.  Enjoy, and Peter, if you like it,
please feel free to modify it and merge it with syslinux.

The patch can be found here:
http://ncsu.edu/project/runt/dist/syslinux-2.11-mbr.patch

If you're interested, my USB distribution is RUNT.
http://ncsu.edu/project/runt

Joel Ebel
Patch written by Richard Woodbury III