[syslinux] pxe + memdisk ..??

William Sellier William.Sellier at rueducommerce.com
Tue Aug 24 07:33:46 PDT 2004

Hello ALL,

I've got a diskless server working (under Gentoo), booting on it works. (a linux session start with no problem.)
My Big problem, is to get Memdisk to boot with PXE. In fact memdisk is loaded, but it cannot find the img file. I've tried a lot of thing, but nothing works...

tftp use  :  /diskless
the config file for PXE in then in :  /diskless/pxelinux.cfg/
the root for the slaves linux is : /diskless/all/

default  in /diskless/pxelinux.cfg/ :

*****

PROMPT 1
DEFAULT 0

label 0
kernel /bzImage
APPEND ip=dhcp root=/dev/nfs nfsroot=192.168.1.1:/diskless/all

label 1
kernel /memdisk
append initrd=fdos1440.img

label 2
kernel /memdisk
append initrd=/fdos1440.img

label 3
kernel /memdisk
append initrd=fd

label 4
kernel /memdisk
append initrd=/fd

*****

The first label it a good one, it boots linux OK.
The others are test labels, none works.
I copies the fdos1440.img to fd, to see if it was maybe an extension error...

any one has an Idea ??

thanks