[syslinux] dhcprelease in pxelinux

Rajeev Agrawala rajeevagrawala at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 6 17:46:13 PST 2004

>From: "H. Peter Anvin" <hpa at zytor.com>
>To: Rajeev Agrawala <rajeevagrawala at hotmail.com>
>CC: syslinux at zytor.com
>Subject: Re: [syslinux] dhcprelease in pxelinux
>Date: Sat, 04 Dec 2004 12:16:07 -0800
>
>Rajeev Agrawala wrote:
>>Can you please point me to RFC and relevant section regarding this. I am
>>in a situation where all machines boot using PXE but after local boot
>>switch to static IP address and I don't have enough dynamic address on
>>subnet to reboot all the machines.
>
>DHCPRELEASE means "I'm done with this address, permanently" which might be
>correct in your case but your configuration definitely is in the minority.
>In fact, for people using ipappend it is not just discouraged but actively
>wrong.

Yes, I understand my configuration would be in minority, but I can't
convince my management to use DHCP while booted in Linux :-(. I am not using
ipappend. The OS is statically configured with an IP address.

>It would definitely be better if you could get your DHCP server to service
>the public addresses; if not, I would suggest having the OS send
>DHCPRELEASE at OS boot time (typically before configuring the static
>address) by going though a DHCP request-release cycle; dhclient can do
>this, for example (dhclient -1 && dhclient -r).

OS sending DHCPRELEASE is an option. But would be great if pxelinux could do
it as part of LOCALBOOT option. If the Locally boot OS needs an IP address,
it is going to do a DHCPDISCOVER/DHCPREQUEST anyways.

Thanks,

--
rajeev