[syslinux] SYSLINUX 2.20-pre14 released - RELEASE CANDIDATE

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Wed Dec 22 03:25:30 PST 2004

H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> Alexander Heinz wrote:
>
>>> I have also formally decided to call the final release 3.00 when it's
>>> ready.  Between code base rewrite + EXTLINUX + libcom32 + simple
>>> menu, there is plenty of reason to bump the major version number.
>>> Yes, libcom32 was introduced a little bit ago, but only with the
>>> simple menu system has it really gotten a shakedown
>>

>> I am grateful to you for implementing the NOESCAPE flag and the new
>> menu system. Compared to pxegrub pxelinux only lacks one feature that
>> is important to me: multiple tftp servers.
>> In October you wrote that this was on your short TODO list. Have you
>> rescheduled this feature for syslinux 4.X?
>>

> It'll probably be in 3.01 or so; at this point I'm not sure if I want to
> hold up 3.00 for it (although maybe I'll just get inspired and finish it
> off.)
>
> It'd be useful to know what exactly is important to you, and preferrably
> why:
>
> a) TFTP server directive vs. TFTP server prefix (hostname::path or
> something);
> b) IP address vs DNS query.

Oh, one more thing: how would you expect this to interact with the "TFTP
prefix" feature -- i.e. that pxelinux automatically prefixes the
pathname in which the pxelinux.cfg directory is found, unless otherwise
directed.

This is my current thinking:

filename
	... load <pathprefix><filename> from default server

::filename
	... load <filename> from default server

ipaddress::filename
	... load <filename> from <ipaddress>

Using :: as the separator to avoid problems with e.g. Windows servers.