[syslinux] Important questions for PXELINUX users

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Tue Dec 28 00:23:13 PST 2004

Hello, everyone;

A few important questions if you use PXELINUX

- Do you use the PXELINUX-specific DHCP options?
- If you do, what DHCP server do you use?
- Are you using vendor encapsulation (a vendor-option-space) or not
   (a site-option-space)?
- Would it be inconvenient for you if these options were changed?

RFC 3942 is flagging these option codes for reclamation as official
options.  I need to report to IANA the PXELINUX usage of these options
before April 2005, and I need some data on how widely these are used,
and whether or not I should push for some kind of official recognition
of these options.

My current inclination is to keep supporting them in the current form
(since they have the magic flag), but to consider the site-option-space
form to be deprecated, and discontinue supporting it at some point in
the future.  What isn't clear to me is whether or not it's the right
thing to do to put these options in the vendor-option-space together
with the (possible) PXE options, or in a separate nested option.