[syslinux] RE: SYSLINUX 2.09-pre3, cdshell?

Jeff Black jeff at hansonsystems.com
Mon Feb 2 20:29:37 PST 2004

www.cdshell.org

Can someone familiar with both cdshell and the new(ish) comboot code in
syslinux explain the differences between the two?

As I understand it comboot code can potentially do anything and then
optionally shell back to syslinux/pxelinux/isolinux. The main limitation
being that of course the comboot code has to rely on bios services to get
anything done because it is not running on top of an OS.

CDShell on the other hand only works when booting off of cd (?!?!?) but is
scriptable and allows a few rudimentary (but very handy indeed) commands.

I guess more then anything I am wondering if syslinux couldn't learn from or
absorb some of the cdshell code in order to gain functionality. It at least
appears to be licensed under a GPL compatible license...

http://www.cdshell.org/license.html

IX.
In addition to what this License otherwise provides, the Software may be
distributed in such a way as to be compliant with the GNU General Public
License, as published by the Free Software Foundation, Cambridge, MA, USA;
version 2, or, at your option, any later version; incorporated herein by
reference. You must include a copy of this License with such distribution.
The use of the Software may be further restricted by the GNU General Public
License, however additional freedom of use not granted by this License may
not be given by the GNU General Public License. Any use of the Software
shall be ultimately held in compliance with this License should any portion
of the GNU General Public License be deemed unenforceable.

Considering both projects start on a bare metal machine it seems as though
some code sharing could be fruitful.

Just a thought...