[syslinux] Syslinux using Asset Tag (from Dell or Compay) instead of MAC Adress

huber at hsn.at huber at hsn.at
Wed Feb 4 06:45:07 PST 2004

I am using PXELINUX to unattened install our machines with XP.

It is a not very easy to handle with mac adresses because mac
adresses can change when a motherboard is changed, but the asset tag
from dell (or also from compaq) will be also updated when the motherboard is
changed to the
original value, so our unique key here is the asset tag.

So my idea is to change the behaviour so that it will not check
for the configuration file on the server by using the mac adress, instead
of this i want to read the asset tag from the bios and use this key
to determine the pxelinux config file.

Has anyone maybe already done this?