[syslinux] Memdisk/floppy image question

Murali Krishnan Ganapathy gmurali at cs.uchicago.edu
Sat Feb 14 11:08:38 PST 2004

Here is the script I put together now. I hope I haven't overlooked
anything.
You might need to modify the first section of variables to suit your setup.
Ofcourse you need to run this as root. May be some version of this
should be included with syslinux?

Basically given an existing floppy image, it creates a larger image and
copies its contents over and sets up the bootsector of the newimage
appropriately.

---- SCRIPT STARTS -----
#!/bin/bash
NEWIMAGE=dosimage.img
OLDIMAGE=oldimage.img  # Name of an existing dos image
SIZEMB=8

MKDOSFS=mkdosfs  # binary for mkdosfs
SIZEKB=`echo "$SIZEMB 1024 * p" | dc`
NUMSECT=`echo "$SIZEKB 2 * p" | dc`
MNTNEW=`mktemp -d /tmp/mntptnew.XXXXXX` # Create a mountpoint
MNTOLD=`mktemp -d /tmp/mntptold.XXXXXX` # Name of an existing mountpoint

# Create the filesystem
OUTLINE=`$MKDOSFS -v -C $NEWIMAGE $SIZEKB | grep heads`
HEADS=`echo $OUTLINE | cut -f3 -d' '`
SECTORS=`echo $OUTLINE | cut -f6 -d' '`
CYLINDERS=`echo "$NUMSECT $HEADS $SECTORS * / p" | dc`
# Copy contents from old image to new image
mount -o loop $NEWIMAGE $MNTNEW
mount -o loop $OLDIMAGE $MNTOLD
cp -r $MNTOLD/* $MNTNEW
umount $MNTNEW
umount $MNTOLD
rmdir $MNTNEW
rmdir $MNTOLD
# Create the boot sector of the new image
# copy the first 512 bytes from the OLD image except the bytes 11
through 61 (inclusive)
dd if=$OLDIMAGE of=$NEWIMAGE bs=1 count=10 conv=notrunc
dd if=$OLDIMAGE of=$NEWIMAGE bs=1 skip=61 seek=61 conv=notrunc count=451
# Print the details
echo "Your floppy image is in $NEWIMAGE. When using it in iso/pxelinux,
dont forget to add"
echo "\"floppy c=$CYLINDERS s=$SECTORS h=$HEADS\" to the argument of
memdisk"
---- SCRIPT ENDS ----

- Murali