[syslinux] PXE booting 2.88MB floppy

Blaauw,Bernd B. B.Blaauw at student.fontys.nl
Mon Feb 16 16:18:07 PST 2004

bootsector usually does change when converting from 1.44MB to 2.88MB, so that may be a reason it fails.

if you have Windows, just use WinImage to load a win98 bootdisk into it, then convert to 2.88MB
remove all programs except io.sys/msdos.sys/command.com ,
defrag the image,
then save it and do in Linux whatever you want.
(adding files I guess).

Syslinux mailinglist had a script for this about a week ago.

using Bochs may also be an option, to set A: to the win98 bootdisk, and B: to an empty 2.88MB diskimage
(then use "A:\FORMAT B: /S" from within Bochs)

due to diskspace reasons, I'm having a 1.44MB bootdisk with Syslinux on it installed. Then the real data is in a Gzip-compressed 2.88MB imagefile that I load using Memdisk. gives me double the diskspace this way, as well as a writable A: (because memdisk is a ramdisk)

Bernd