[syslinux] next-server and tftp

Josef Siemes jsiemes at web.de
Mon Feb 23 09:26:19 PST 2004

Hi,

"Nick Garfield" <Nicholas.Garfield at cern.ch> schrieb am 23.02.04 18:13:24:
> A colleague of mine today showed me his dhcp/tftp configuration with
> pxelinux.  He booted, from the network, an intel based machine with no
> disk.  I was impressed.  So I looked at the configuration he was using
> and it was simple....he had ISC dhcpd v2 and a tftp server configured as
> detailed on your web site.  Curious, I suggested that he move the tftp
> server to another machine (on a different IP address).  We changed the
> next-server statement in dhcpd.conf to the new ip address to agree with
> the changes.  When we tried to boot the machine from the network the
> machine failed to boot.  Curiously the network card (running intel boot
> agent 2.0) said the packet was sourced at the dhcp server address and
> not the next-server address (which is what I expected).

Usually you don't want the dhcp and tftp server to be different machines.
The PXE Roms are really buggy in this part, I've never managed to put
them to two addresses. Even if you manage to get it running from
one network card maybe even a different revision of the same card
won't work with this. Not to speak of different network chipsets ...

There's a so-called 'PXE server', which is sort of a DHCP server, running
on port 4011 (AFAIR), it tells where the bootfile and the tftp server are,
and doesn't give out IP addresses. I also don't recommend this, since
it's also buggy in various network cards.

Regards,

Josef