[syslinux] Problem with pxelinux "localboot 0" option.

Richard Stock richardbstock at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Feb 24 03:30:39 PST 2004

Hi all,
hopefully someone in the list will be able to advise
me on what to
do with a problem that's bugging me.

I have a number of machines that simply have problems
understanding
"localboot 0". My configuration is such that after the
machines happily
remotely install via PXE+kickstart the "default" file
on the PXE server will resort
to telling the client to boot from it's local disk.
I actually see the client display a message saying
booting from local disk
but instead of booting the machine displays nothing
other than a flashing
cursor in top right of screen.

Here's a bit more info on the config:
Bios boot sequence: floppy, NIC, HDD
Motherboard is Asus P4P800, NIC is 3Com 3c940.
OS installed on server and client is Redhat 9.
I already have a number of other machines (different
hardware config)
that use the same PXE server and work exactly as
expected.
syslinux rpm is standard rh 9 version 2.00-4

Some other things I've tried:
bios upgrade,
Try a different NIC.
Tried "localboot 4" and "localboot 5"

For what's it's worth if I unplug the network cable or
switch the boot
priority the machine will correctly boot the pxe
installed RH9 from it's HDD, so I know the OS is OK.

I'm fairly new to this pxe stuff so excuse me if I
have or have not stated the
obvious. My gut feeling is that I may be seeing a bios
bug but I'd be grateful if anyone has any ideas.

Thanks
Rich