[syslinux] BIOS disk geometry and Linux 2.6

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Fri Feb 27 08:41:52 PST 2004

Patrick J. LoPresti wrote:

> So I am back to wanting to call INT13/AH=08h (and maybe INT13/AH=48h
> too) and passing the results on the kernel command line.
>
> Unless you have another suggestion?

The thing is... the kernel does call these functions during early boot,
however, as Michael pointed out, there is no general way to correlate
this data with specific drives without examining the contents of the disk.

Here is a thought, though:

a) If the disk already has a partition table, you should be able to get
the H/S by examining the ending of the partitions;

b) If it doesn't, you could write a small COMBOOT which simply creates a
dummy partition table.

Since this data would be written to the disk itself, it would handle the
correlation.