[syslinux] BIOS disk geometry and Linux 2.6

Luciano Miguel Ferreira Rocha strange at nsk.no-ip.org
Fri Feb 27 10:50:56 PST 2004

On Fri, Feb 27, 2004 at 10:38:38AM -0800, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> Luciano Miguel Ferreira Rocha wrote:

> >>None that I know of.  I know someone on this list (Murali?) is
> >>successfully using it for some installation stuff.
> >
> > Doesn't grub use it for the 1.5 stage? (When needed)
> >

> I haven't seen that.

I had to hunt down grub's info but:
     While Stage 2 cannot generally be embedded in a fixed area as the
     size is so large, Stage 1.5 can be installed into the area right
     after a MBR, or the boot loader area of a ReiserFS or a FFS.

On one of my systems it does seem to exist a e2fs_stage1_5 on mbr+1 (27
bytes differ).

Regards,
Luciano Rocha