[syslinux] Kernel panic: I have no root and I want to scream

Josef Siemes jsiemes at web.de
Sat Jan 3 09:20:04 PST 2004

Hi,

"H.J.P. Hoogeveen" <mivz at gmx.net> schrieb am 03.01.04 18:05:59:
> I'm trying to fix netbooting and I got quit far.
> Before this, it reported that it had no root disk, I fixed this by
> specifying my initrd. Nou it crys's:
> Kernel panic: I have no root and I want to scream
>
> I think I made the mistake whit the creation of the initrd file. What
> should I put in it except the /linuxrc.
> I put a echo "TEST" in de /linuxrc to see if it runs, in stead of TEST I
> get kernel panic.

It seems you are trying to execute a shell script in the initrd.
So you need a shell in the initrd, either a static or dynamic linked one (with dynamic you also
need the libraries in place).

If you want to do something without a shell you need to compile some binary (static preferred
- see above) and install this as /linuxrc.

What happens here is that the kernel tries to execute /linuxrc, fails doing that (so the linuxrc
terminated), and in turn tries to execute some init (this would be /sbin/init, /sbin/sh, /bin/sh
in this order AFAIR - read the kernel source for details).

Please include all the exact kernel messages next time so that we don't need to guess what happened before this error came up.

Regards,

Josef