[syslinux] Problem with Syslinux 2.07 and APM on SMP system

Josef Siemes jsiemes at web.de
Wed Jan 7 05:10:40 PST 2004

Hi,

Terry Barnaby <terry1 at beam.ltd.uk> schrieb am 07.01.04 11:29:20:
> We have a problem with Syslinux 2.07 and APM on an SMP system.
> When either network booting with pxelinux.0 or CDROM booting
> with isolinux we get a kernel error message:
[..]
> The system runs fine but will not power off.
> If the system boots from the hard disk using grub all is fine.
>
> The kernel boot line is:
> 	append ro ramdisk_size=6000 initrd=beamsys/beamsys-initrd apm=power-off
>
> The OS is Redhat Linux 9 with kernel 2.4.20-24.9smp
> The hardware is a Supermicro 6023P-i dual Xeon server.

you don't have any problem with pxe/syslinux, since your kernel already booted and
took over complete control on the system. Also syslinux doesn't do anything
in regard to APM.

So maybe your system doesn't have any apm bios (I've seen some laptops that
only have ACPI, and no APM any more), or has a buggy bios. Complain to your
vendor, or try using ACPI and see if this works better.

Regards,

Josef