[syslinux] Problem with Syslinux 2.07 and APM on SMP system

Terry Barnaby terry at beam.ltd.uk
Wed Jan 7 06:12:07 PST 2004

Hi Josef,

Thanks for the response.

The system boots fine using the standard Grub boot loader which loads
exactly the same kernel and initial RAM disk and APM works fine when
booted using Grub.

So there must be some difference between the way syslinux (pxe and iso)
boots Linux and Grub boots Linux that causes the failier.

The code in the Linux kernal that prints the error message is attempting
to make sure the kernel is running on processor 0 as there are problems
with some BIOSes when other CPU's attempt to access the APM BIOS functions.
Could syslinux (pxe and iso) be booting using CPU 1 rather than CPU 0 ?

Terry

--
Dr Terry Barnaby                     BEAM Ltd
Phone: +44 1454 324512               Northavon Business Center, Dean Rd