[syslinux] Problem with Syslinux 2.07 and APM on SMP system

Terry Barnaby terry at beam.ltd.uk
Wed Jan 7 07:29:46 PST 2004

Hi Josef,

We have two different dual processor servers here, one
is the new Supermicro 6023P-i server and one is based on an old
Supermicro P4DC6 Motherboard. Both fail in the same way.
The first worked Ok with Redhat 7.3 but not RedHat 9.
So I do not suspect the BIOS ....

I believe the kernel code changed between that in RedHat 7.3 and RedHat 9
with respect to the APM setup code checking on CPU number ....
The new kernel code taht fails is (BUG is called):

	/* 2002/08/01 - WT
	 * This is to avoid random crashes at boot time during initialization
	 * on SMP systems in case of "apm=power-off" mode. Seen on ASUS A7M266D.
	 * Some bioses don't like being called from CPU != 0.
	 * Method suggested by Ingo Molnar.
	 */
	if (cpu_number_map(smp_processor_id()) != 0) {
		current->cpus_allowed = 1;
		schedule();
		if (unlikely(cpu_number_map(smp_processor_id()) != 0))
			BUG();
	}

I will try Lilo and see what that does.

Cheers

Terry

--
Dr Terry Barnaby                     BEAM Ltd
Phone: +44 1454 324512               Northavon Business Center, Dean Rd