[syslinux] Remap not enabled on some builds...

Erik Dykema ed2019 at columbia.edu
Wed Jan 14 07:13:54 PST 2004

Hi-
	Here at Columbia Unix Systems Group we experienced difficulty getting
tftpd-hpa to build on certain systems (including Debian Woody), and
after investigation, my officemate Lev discovered that it is a problem
with the autoconf script, not the source code for the
application itself.  Perhaps others will be helped by this info...

Good luck!
Erik Dykema

Sent by lev at columbia.edu on November 26, 2003:

I discovered a small problem with the autoconf script for
tftp-hpa-0.34 that prevents one from compiling the binaries with the
remap option enabled on certain systems.

Currently, the script generated by autoconf adds ../lib/libxtra.a to
the library path (LIBS) passed to the linker if it determines that
libiberty is not installed (e.g., on most Linux systems). This path is
passed to the linker when it is invoked by configure and when it is
invoked by make during the actual software build. The problem is that
the path ../lib/libxtra.a is nonexistent relative to the main package
directory and therefore causes some of the tests run by configure to
fail. One of these is the regcomp test; if it fails, it prevents
WITH_REGEX from being defined and thereby prevents the remap features
from being built into the binaries. One can avoid this problem by
adding ../lib/libxtra.a to TFTPD_LIBS and TFTP_LIBS without adding it
to LIBS in the autoconf script.

Here is the diff between the original and modified configure.in files:

127c127
< 	LIBS="../lib/libxtra.a $LIBS"
---
> 	PROG_LIBS="../lib/libxtra.a $LIBS"