[syslinux] isolinux serial console keyboard issue

Josef Siemes jsiemes at web.de
Thu Jan 15 09:25:40 PST 2004

Hi,

Stephen Brown <sbrown7 at umbc.edu> schrieb am 15.01.04 15:19:37:
> On Thu, 15 Jan 2004, Floriola wrote:
> > During boot I am able see the syslinux boot prompt on
> > the serial console *and* the monitor, but I can not
> > use the console keyboard. I can only use the keyboard
> > that is connected on the machine. After the kernel is
> > loaded, the console keyboard starts working, but, this
> > does not help me much, since I still need to use the
> > keyboard before the linux kernel is loaded. Does
> > anybody have any ideea what might be wrong?
>
> If your BIOS (which controls the machine up until a boot loader --
> isolinux, takes over) doesn't have an option to use a serial console,
> you are out of luck.  Most don't.

I think you got it wrong. syslinux should use a serial console if told to
use it, regardless of any bios support. That you don't see any bios output
on the serial line doesn't prevent  syslinux from using this for its in/output.

So I've looked over the config file and don't see any problems. What version
is syslinux? Could you try the latest one?

Regards,

Josef