[syslinux] isolinux serial console keyboard issue

Stephen Brown sbrown7 at umbc.edu
Thu Jan 15 09:37:15 PST 2004

On Thu, 15 Jan 2004, Josef Siemes wrote:

> Stephen Brown <sbrown7 at umbc.edu> schrieb am 15.01.04 15:19:37:
> > On Thu, 15 Jan 2004, Floriola wrote:
> > > During boot I am able see the syslinux boot prompt on
> > > the serial console *and* the monitor, but I can not
> > > use the console keyboard. I can only use the keyboard
> > > that is connected on the machine. After the kernel is
<<snip>>

> > If your BIOS (which controls the machine up until a boot loader --
> > isolinux, takes over) doesn't have an option to use a serial console,
> > you are out of luck.  Most don't.
>
> I think you got it wrong. syslinux should use a serial console if told to
> use it, regardless of any bios support. That you don't see any bios output
> on the serial line doesn't prevent  syslinux from using this for its in/output.

Ahh.. I misread that and assumed he wanted to configure the BIOS from
the serial line (not sure how I got that notion).  I have indeed used
serial lines for sys/isolinux boots before, and even with fairly old
versions.  Wonder if the issue is that he _also_ has a keyboard attached
to the box?  Never tried it that way.

Steve Brown
sbrown7 at umbc.edu