[syslinux] tftp-hpa-0.34 AIX compile issues

Peter Caldes pcaldes at attglobal.net
Thu Jan 15 11:13:48 PST 2004

I too ran into this same problem (LIBXTRA) when trying to compile under
an AIX 4.2.1 based system.
This problem also made autoconf think that  libwrap and some other
things were not available because it would get a compiler error.

Unfortunately, my system doesn't have the GNU utilities
autoconf/autoheader or gcc.
The way I got around it was to manually build the 'missing' library::
       cd /home/pete/tftp/tftp-hpa-0.34
        ./configure CC=cc
        gmake SUB=lib
        mkdir ../lib
        cp lib/libxtra.a ../lib
       ./configure CC=CC

This might not be the correct place for this but there were three other
problems I found under AIX 4.2.1:

1) Under AIX, the following macro doesn't generate an error so autoconf
thinks this is a valid compiler option:
        PA_ADD_CFLAGS(-fno-strict-aliasing)

However, when autoconf later tries to compile some test programs it gets
an error from the the linker that it could not find the file
'no-strict-aliasing' .   It turns out that that AIX linker has its own
'-f' option. Since I do not have the tools to rebuild the configure
script I got around this problem by creating an empty file in the top
level source directory:
       cd   /home/pete/tftp/tftp-hpa-0.34
       touch no-strict-aliasing
       ./configure CC=cc

2) Under AIX, I noticed PXELINUX would not work because TFTPD would
always return the option 'tsize=0' when sending a file even though the
file was non-zero length. This caused PXELINUX to never find it's config
file.
I found the problem (due to 'long long ints') and fixed it my making the
following change in 'config.h':
        vi config.h
            ... Change both occurences of :
                #define PRIuMAX "Lu"
                #define PRIuMAX "llu"

Under my compiler it seems '%Lu' does not  work properly on 'long long'
ints, so I forced it to use '%llu'.

3) Lastly, when trying to run 'gmake install'  I get the error that '
./install-sh' is not found.
To get around this, I had to manually create some symbolic links:
        cd   /home/pete/tftp/tftp-hpa-0.34
        ln -s ../install-sh tftp
        ln -s ../install-sh tftpd