Menu files [syslinux] Re: pxegrub + memdisk + dos + undi

Steve Marfisi smarfisi at emboot.com
Fri Jan 16 06:43:30 PST 2004

....."We are looking at Argon, they seem to have the best menu system.
The sad thing is, they dont support alot of our image types, we will use
their menu system to select pxelinux which will do all the real work.
So, they get the money just because they have a menu system, and
pxelinux does most of the work. Another negative is the configuration is
all done through a bad windows GUI."

Aaron - there may be a way to get a similar menu system without paying
money - the Boot Image Editor is available on the 3Com utility disk
(under the IMGEDIT directory, once extracted). This can be found at
ftp://ftp.3com.com/pub/nic/3c90x/util430.exe. It is the same code base
as the Argon (and our Boot Image Editor), although both of us may have
tweaked it since to add alternative bootstrap support (netboot,
pxelinux). I won't defend the GUI or the fact that it is Windows....

Can you let us know what image types you are attempting to support? We
have, at times, done some custom work on bootstraps for VenturCom's BXP
and also for vendors using WIN CE .net PXE bootstraps. Our interest is
in extending as much bootstrap support as is reasonably possible, given
the demand.

Steve Marfisi
emBoot Inc.