[syslinux] Standard file extensions for zipped floppy images

Blaauw,Bernd B. B.Blaauw at student.fontys.nl
Thu Jan 22 04:19:39 PST 2004

what kind of Syslinux device are you using then that holds all these images? a harddisk?

since Syslinux uses DOS names, I tend to use .GZ
I don't know if Memdisk first looks for a Gzip header, or at file extension

gzip test.img
ren test.img.gz test.img

label test
kernel memdisk
append initrd=test.img

probably even test.bin is valid, as probably only Sys/PXE/ISOlinux themselves look for reserved filename extensions.

is it possibly to specify a device, btw?
# reads diskette into Memdisk and then boots it.
label disk2ram
kernel memtest
append initrd=0x00

I don't understand Memdisk decompression procedure, but do know that it failed to decompress a filled 1.44MB image in a 4MB virtual machine in Vmware..out of memory. Bochs did fine with just 4MB.

Bernd