[syslinux] Hyperthreaded P4 processor count

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Fri Jan 23 00:17:41 PST 2004

Terry Barnaby wrote:
> I have what may be a similar problem with syslinux. As noted previously
> in the list if I use apm=power-off on the kernel boot line with syslinux
> on an SMP system I get a kernel error message from the apm system.
> It seems that there is some issue with syslinux and multiple processors.
> This happens on two systems. Lilo and grub are fine.....
>
> In my case Linux comes up and recognises all of the processors though.

One possibility is that your BIOS is buggy and puts its MP tables in
unprotected memory.  If so, the bootloader could end up unwittingly
overwriting them, which would be bootloader dependent.

Alternatively, there could be a memory-overwrite bug in SYSLINUX which
overwrites the MP tables on your particular system.