[syslinux] Compile an additional driver module

Eckat eckat at hotpost.co.uk
Fri Jan 23 09:42:58 PST 2004

Hello everone,

I am new to this mailing list. I am regarding problems while trying to
load an additional driver module. The module is sundance.o, used for
D-Link DFE 550 nics. I downloaded this driver tarball from the D-Links
website. I am using Syslinux 1.52 which is based on the 2.4.18 kernel. My
syslinux is embedded on three floppy disks and all works pretty well and
boots up without any problems. Now when I try to implement the driver
modules it fails to load. Getting the message: The module sundance.o is
complied for kernel version 2.4.xx / This is kernel 2.4.18. I am
understanding the message, cause it's true I compiled the driver on
another machine and simply copied the .o file to my (in this case) third
disk of syslinux. Even insmod -f sundance.o doesn't work. How is it
possible to get a 2.4.18 kernel compiled version of my module? Sorry if
this sounds dumb for you all, but I hope someone can help and give a
little hint.

Thank you.