[syslinux] memdisk fails with 4 hdds

Knut Petersen Knut_Petersen at t-online.de
Sun Jan 25 00:25:58 PST 2004

Hi H. Peter,

> This means it booted DOS but didn't get anywhere.
>
> What happens if you boot this version of DOS just from a floppy?
>
> Is this a floppy image or hard disk image?
>
>     -hpa

It´s a 1.44MB floppy image.  If I copy this image to a real floppy,
it is bootable in this system, no matter how many hdds are installed.

The same DOS is also bootable from hdd with lilo as well as grub.

I did not succeed to boot it on any machine with the current etherboot
release.

If I set at least one of the hdds manually to "none" in bios setup, it
will work
without a problem.

It does not make a difference if a real floppy drive is present or not.

This bug is definitely not related to the Award 4.51PG/6.0PG
el-torito/noemul/nohdds bug. As I´m the man that sent you that "sick,
sick, sick"
hack [-hpa in december 2002] you decided not to integrate into isolinux,
I feel qualified to give this diagnosis.  [off topic on:] A quick search
with
google gave lots of complaints about isolinux on those systems. As Award
is unwilling to fix the bug for at least 7 years, wouln´t it be a good
idea to
integrate the workaround in isolinux? [off topic off]

All this leads me to suspect that there is some kind of bug in the 13h isr
of memdisk. Do you have an extended memdisk-debug version that shows
exactly the parameters and return values of the int 13 calls?

Is there anybody reading this list who can confirm that a pxelinux/memdisk
DOS boot works (or not) on his system with 4 hdds installed?

cu,
 Knut Petersen