[syslinux] Problem with FreeDOS + himem64 + PXELINUX + memdisk

Patrick J. LoPresti patl at users.sourceforge.net
Mon Jan 26 12:52:43 PST 2004

"Blaauw,Bernd B." <B.Blaauw at student.fontys.nl> writes:

> (are you using UNDI driver btw for PXE, instead of DOS network drivers?)

I am using 3com's universal NDIS-over-UNDI driver.  But I am not even
getting that far...

> could you leave everything identical on the bootdisk but use a MSDOS
> kernel on that machine?
> (dos 7.10 for example)?

I do not have MS-DOS 7.10, but I do have MS-DOS 6.22.  Here are the
results.

  MS-DOS + MS himem.sys:  Works

  MS-DOS + FreeDOS himem64.exe: Works for a while, but the keyboard
    tends to lock up

  FreeDOS + FreeDOS himem64.exe: As reported (instant reboot)

  FreeDOS + MS himem.sys: Very weird...  Screen goes blank, laptop
    beeps four times at one-second intervals, hard drive activity
    light comes on, machine is totally non-responsive.

> My preference for himem above fdxms is the cooperation with emm386
> (included in the same package as himem at above emm386 link).

I cannot use emm386.exe because it is incompatible with CWSDPMI, so I
plan to use umbpci instead.  But I am not loading it for this test;
only the XMS provider.

 - Pat