[syslinux] initramfs and kernel 2.6.7

Andreas Jellinghaus [c] aj at leogic.com
Thu Jul 1 05:21:59 PDT 2004

can anyone post an example how to create a "cpio.gz" format ramdisk?

my current initrd is created with
mkcramfs -E -v $TMPDIR $BOOT/$TARGET

where $TMPDIR has bin/ lib/ etc/ etc. and linuxrc,
$BOOT/$TARGET is /boot/initrd-typeX
and it is working fine.

all effords to migrate this to a cpio.gz format failed
badly, it never booted. are any special CONFIG options
in the kernel required? I have the usual options for
initrd:
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_RAM=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_RAM_SIZE=4096
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_INITRD=y
CONFIG_RAMFS=y
CONFIG_TMPFS=y
CONFIG_CRAMFS=y
CONFIG_ZLIB_DEFLATE=y

that should be good enough, right?

I sometimes wonder, if the cpio.gz format is limited to
compiled in ramdisks (linux-2.6.7/usr/initramfs_cpio.gz),
and external ram disks loaded with initrd= will not work at all.
but I couldn't get an internal ramdisk to work either.

any idea what I could be missing?

Andreas

--