[syslinux] Disabling MEMDISK

Alexander Heinz mailsanmich at gmx.li
Wed Jul 7 14:01:58 PDT 2004

> I will do further tests and report the results.

> I have not checked whether the virtual floppy is really gone or not but
> I will do it tomorrow (It is 2am here and I need some sleep).

some test results (with a 3com 905 tx-m NIC with pxe boot rom / mba 4.30):
dos floppy = win98se bootdisk with no drivers, no memory manager
emulated by memdisk.

pxelinux -> memdisk -> dos floppy -> hpa's prefix program combined with
eb 5.3.8 .com undi driver -> .nbi Linux -> WORKS and the virtual floppy
is gone
(because of memory overlapping I had to use the relocate option of mknbi)

pxelinux -> memdisk -> dos floppy -> hpa's prefix program combined with
eb 5.3.8 .com undi driver -> pxelinux (again) -> boot process stops (no
error msg)

pxelinux -> memdisk -> dos floppy -> hpa's prefix program combined with
eb 5.3.8 .com undi driver -> nbgrub -> boot process stops

pxelinux -> memdisk -> dos floppy -> hpa's prefix program combined with
eb 5.3.8 .com undi driver -> pxegrub -> boot process stops

booting grub or pxelinux again is not very important to me at the moment
but booting the local hard drive is.
M$ RIS would also be very interesting but I think the guys from
Etherboot are working on it (see etherboot mailing lists)

So my question is:
Is there a .com file to boot the local hard drive?
It is certainly possible because grub4dos is able to do it.

Maybe we could reuse code from "smart boot manager"?

Alex