[syslinux] initramfs and kernel 2.6.7

Andreas Jellinghaus aj at leogic.com
Fri Jul 9 06:20:02 PDT 2004

On Thu, 2004-07-01 at 20:42, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> > any idea what I could be missing?
> >

> /init, perhaps?
>
> Unfortunately the initial program expected to be found on the ramdisk is
> neither /sbin/init nor /linuxrc, it's /init, and if /init doesn't exist
> it falls back to the traditional methods.
>
> You also cannot pivot-root from an initramfs.  Instead, use the run-init
> program from the klibc distribution.

it looks better now, but bash as initramfs /init program does not seem
to work. is anything special required to get an interactive shell?
as with cramfs I have an /dev/console device, and that was enough,
but with initramfs the console stays silent.

also is there any alternative to klibc?
I currently have a big fat ramdisk of about 4 MB with
glibc, bash, ssh, openssl, dm-crypt, opensc and openct
(smart card tools), and because of that long list of
applications, I have no use for a small c library.

is initramfs limited in any way? or will increasing
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_RAM_SIZE allow me ram disks of any
size? about 20 MB can hold a very, very luxurious
environment ... :-)

Andreas

--