[syslinux] isolinux pathnames

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Tue Jul 13 20:38:35 PDT 2004

Frank Mitchell wrote:
> Quick Question About Bootable CDs:
>
> Am I correct in assuming that ISOLINUX locates its files by accessing a
> Directory Tree in ASCII addressed by the Primary Volume Descriptor in the
> final session of the CD?

Sort of.  It uses the directory tree in ASCII addressed by the PVD
encoded in the header of isolinux.bin using the -boot-info-table option
to mkisofs.

The reason is simply that the El Torito spec doesn't provide any way to
locate the last session on the disk, thus not its PVD.

This means that you have to write isolinux.bin again in a subsequent
session.