[syslinux] building hpa tftp under cygwin?

Baurjan Ismagulov baurzhan.ismagulov at sbs.com.tr
Mon Jul 19 10:10:19 PDT 2004

Hello Jim,

On Mon, Jul 19, 2004 at 09:22:09AM -0400, JimVela at aol.com wrote:
> I tried to build tftp-hpa under cygwin.  The 0.37 version throws errors
> during the ./configure process, warning about winsock2.h and winsock.h being
> present but not buildable.
>
> The 0.36 version appears to build, but barfs when started with
> ./tftpd.exe -l -u [user] /tftpboot
> (I substitute an actual username for [user] above)
>
> Has anyone built hpa-tftpd under cygwin?  Is a binary version or package
> available for cygwin? (Obviously my building skills are feeble).

Tftpd 0.35 works for me with patches from
http://www.zytor.com/pipermail/syslinux/2004-February/003148.html . I've
got a binary and can send it to you if you want. I installed it as a
service using the following command:

cygrunsrv -I tftpd -p /usr/sbin/tftpd.exe -a "-lns /tftpboot -a 192.168.2.1" -d "CYGWIN TFTP service"

Replace the directories and the address to listen to to match your
system. You would probably want to exclude the "-n" option if you run
the stock version. However, it will most probably fail on set*id
functions, which require special privileges under cygwin (see the
section "switching user context" in
http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/ntsec.html#NTSEC-SETUID). IIRC, it was
possible to use the stock version on cygwin by running it as a user with
that privileges.

For compilation problems, a configure or make log would help. For
run-time problems, paste the messages from the Windows event log.

With kind regards,
Baurjan.