[syslinux] linux /boot partition

Bill Catlan wcatlan at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 1 11:12:40 PDT 2004

Hello,

I have a RedHat Linux 7.2 system with a /boot partition on /dev/hda1.  The grub
config mounts the boot partition on /boot and root on /dev/hda2.

However, when I try to boot from a syslinux floppy and mount the root filesystem
on /dev/hda2, the system seems to load the kernel and mount the the root
filesystem, but then stops.  There is no error message, but init does not
proceed load.

When I try to mount the root filesystem on /dev/hda1 (ie, root=/dev/hda1), the
system compains that it cannot find init.

Shouldn't I be able to simply boot off of my floppy and mount /dev/hda2 as the
root filesystem?  I'm really at a loss here, so any help appreciated.  Thanks.

Bill