[syslinux] memdisk: DOS as a PreOS

Matthew Moffitt mzm-syslinux at sociology.osu.edu
Mon Jun 28 09:01:36 PDT 2004

This is something I would be interested to see as well.  The
3com/Lanworks environment we used to use had a pboot.exe utility that
would unload the DOS floppy environment and roll over the boot to the
local disk.  It was handy for us.

Since switching I get most of what I need by having several memdisk
images available and, during the times when we need to boot the
floppies, I switch the server side configuration file to reference the
different disks for the default boot.  However we then lose our ability
to step into the boot process during normal boots since we need to let
it come straight from the local disk.

Anyway, things work well enough but if we could get more control by
applying our customizations during a pre-boot environment and then
unload it, rolling over to the PC hard drive, it would be ideal.  Would
there by any more flexibility working from another OS in the floppy
image than DOS?  Something that would allow it to unload when finished?

-Matt