[syslinux] BIOS disk geometry and Linux 2.6

Marc Haisenko haisenko at webport.de
Mon Mar 1 01:30:23 PST 2004

On Friday 27 February 2004 20:15, ganapathy murali krishnan wrote:
> I always thought that drive 0x80 is either /dev/hda or /dev/sda. Since
> in most cases there is no SCSI drives, the mapping between 0x8{0,1,2,3}
> to /dev/hd{a,b,c,d} was trivial. Hmmm. You always keep learning stuff.

Not really, AFAIK. 0x80 is the first disk the BIOS finds which might well be
hdc in Linux, for example. Or if you're using M-Systems DiskOnChip's 0x80
would be /dev/msys/fla (or whatever you've named it).

I'm almost (!) sure about that since we're doing embedded systems with compact
flash cards and in the system we're using they're /dev/hdc. And if I recall
correctly we had to pass

disk=/dev/hdc
bios=0x80

to LiLo to make it boot... but I'm not 100% sure about that since we switched
to SYSLINUX months ago as it's easier to handle in our case and not as bitchy
as LiLo and grub are ;-)
C'ya,
	Marc

--