[syslinux] CD-ROM won't boot. BIOS problem?

Anmol Khirbat anmol at catapult.com
Wed May 5 23:29:16 PDT 2004

On Wed, May 05, 2004 at 10:19:21PM -0700, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> Anmol Khirbat wrote:
> >
> >ISOLINUX 2.08 2003-12-12 Copyright (C) 1994-2003 H. Peter Anvin
> >isolinux: Starting up, DL = 80
> >isolinux: Loading spec packet failed, trying to wing it...
> >isolinux: Failed to locate CD-ROM device; boot failed
> >

> In other words, it loads the bootstrap, but doesn't initalize *any* of
> the El Torito functionality.
>
> It's quite possible your adapter BIOS doesn't even activate since you
> have a primary drive on the mainboard.
>
> 	-hpa

Hi Peter,

Thanks for your reply.

I tried a SuSE 8.1 CD (ISOLINUX 1.62) and it worked. I also tried the
boot.iso debug CD with the Adtron CD-ROM drive in another system
(mainboard Gigabyte 7VRXP, AMIBIOS 7.00T) and it worked.

Is the El Torito functionality implememted in the adapter BIOS?
Is it possible for the El Torito implementation to be broken in such a
way that it will work only with certain bootable CDs or mainboards?

Is there anything else I can try to narrow down the problem?

Thanks,
Anmol