[syslinux] Re: Grub to Syslinux

Paul G Rogers paul.rogers at juno.com
Mon May 10 16:45:41 PDT 2004

>That should work, *IF*:
>
>a) hda5 is a FAT12/16 filesystem;
>b) hda5 is <= cyl 1024.
>
>	-hpa

I got thinking booting off a logical partition might not be allowed, so I
changed the LEAF/Bering logical partition to a primary, hda4.  Then I ran
"syslinux d:" from a Win98SE DOS-box to (try to) initialize the
partition's boot record.  And added this from a DOS/Windows example to
grub.conf:

title LEAF/Bering via syslinux
        hide (hd0,0)
        unhide (hd0,3)
        makeactive
        rootnoverify (hd0,3)
        chainloader +1

But the boot failed in grub.  I'm also going the path of making grub boot
LEAF-Bering directly, and I seem to have that part-way to working.

Paul Rogers  (paul.rogers at juno.com)
http://www.xprt.net/~pgrogers/
http://www.angelfire.com/or/paulrogers/
(I do not personally endorse any additions after this line. TANSTAAFL
:-)