[syslinux] SYSLINUX 2.10-pre2 is out

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Tue May 18 09:55:45 PDT 2004

Aaron McSorley wrote:
> The menu wont compile for me, the version in 2.09 does compile.
>
> ~/syslinux-2.10-pre2/menu$ gcc --version
> gcc (GCC) 3.3.3 (Debian 20040401)
>
> ~/syslinux-2.10-pre2/menu$ make
> gcc -m32 -funsigned-char -g -W -Wall -march=i386 -falign-functions=0 -falign-jumps=0 -falign-loops=0 -Os -MMD -S -o biosio.s biosio.c
> biosio.c: In function `scrollup':
> biosio.c:141: error: invalid lvalue in asm statement
> make: *** [biosio.s] Error 1

Yes, this one is just a plain bug (it uses an rvalue with a + modifier
which is illegal.)

There also seems to be some problems with the constraints.  These seem
to be gcc bugs, mostly, I have in fact had it try to generate x86-64
specific registers like %dil in 32-bit mode!

It seems that "r" is broken for 8-bit registers and newer gccs want
either "q" or "Q".  Since older gcc's don't support them one need to use
something like "abcd".

Anyway, I've release syslinux-2.10-pre3 which should fix these problems.