[syslinux] tftp-hpa versus atftpd

Timothy Legge tlegge at rogers.com
Fri May 28 08:35:14 PDT 2004

On Fri, 2004-05-28 at 09:00, Carlos Carvalho wrote:
> I won't use atftpd because it can only be started from inetd.

Hi

actually, atftpd can run without inetd.  From
http://wiki.etherboot.org/wiki.pl?MulticastHowto

How to Enable Multicast in Etherboot 5.2
Using aftpd

atftp stands for Advanced Trivial File Transfer Protocol. It supports
RFC 1350, RFC 2090, RFC 2347, RFC 2348 and RFC 2349. atftp is intended
for serving boot files to large clusters. It is multi-threaded and
supports multicast.

1) Download atftp_0.6.2.tar.gz from
http://packages.debian.org/testing/net/atftpd.html

2) Unzip and extract the files (tar xvfz atftp_0.6.2.tar.gz)

3) cd atftp-0.6.2

4) ./configure; make; make install

Note:

I have not been able to get aftpd to work with inetd on Slackware so I
run atftpd as in daemon mode. Ensure that your /etc/inetd.conf file and
/etc/services files (or your distribution's equivalent) do not reference
the port that you will be running atftpd on. If it does, inetd tries to
run tftpd.

5) atftpd --daemon --port 1758 --mcast_addr 224.1.1.0-255 --mcast_port
1758 --mcast_ttl=1